Friday, September 9, 2011

Productivity fail

Things I promised myself I would do today:
1. Get up at a reasonable hour
2. Laundry
3. Work out
4. Finish Beowulf
5. Start The Tempest
6. Go to CVS

What I actually did today:
1. Wake up around noon (no class Fridays FTW)
2. Have a really, really extended lunch
3. Hour and 45 minute meeting for an activity
4. Watch whole hours disappear as I stared at a computer screen
5. Read a little bit of Beowulf
6. Buy enough instant oatmeal from amazon.com to last me to infinity and beyond

Not exactly how I had intended to start off the school year. Procrastination has begun way too early. I turned in my study card all of one day ago and I'm already behind where I'd like to be with my reading. Priorities say what?

I've always had trouble sitting in one place for more than about 30 minutes at a time, but it's especially bad when I need to read lots and lots of pages in one sitting. Here's a short list of things that distract me:

  • Messes
  • Noises
  • Breezes
  • Moving things
  • Lights
  • Bright colors
  • People
  • The internet
  • Strange smells
  • Anything that flutters (butterflies, pieces of paper, feathers, etc)
  • Uncomfortable clothing
  • Being cold
  • Being hot
  • Total silence
And cats. They distract me too.
Source

Life is rough.

To my credit, my desk hasn't turned into a black hole of disorganization and entropy yet. That's one point for me.

1 comment:

  1. I get so easily distracted too. Especially doing online research. I click so many links, before I know it I don't know where I am!

    ReplyDelete