Monday, August 29, 2011

Pre-class academic struggles

First world disaster: I'm too indecisive to choose classes. Looking at the course catalog for this semester, I've realized that... I want to take EVERYTHING. By that, I mean that I have 11 classes vying for my 3 (or 4) open slots. Can I help it if everything looks interesting? No. Can I help it if I'm horribly indecisive? Well, probably, but I don't really feel like trying to tackle that one.

I have one class set, my English honors tutorial. Unfortunately, the class time for tutorials is chosen at the first meeting, meaning that I can't even narrow down the rest of my schedule based on timing. Le sigh. The normal course load here is 4 classes per semester. I did the 5 class thing last semester, and promised myself I wouldn't again, but how am I honestly supposed to narrow 12 classes down into 4? I might have to go with 5 again. In true Tim Gunn style, I can make it work!

Thank the academic gods above for shopping week. It's pretty clear that I need a week to sit in on everything I'm looking at to figure out what to take. What I mean by that is "I really hope that something sucks, so that narrowing things down will be easier." Here's my current shopping week schedule:


At least Friday's free, no?
So, I may have bit off more than I can chew, as is evidenced by the fact that this calender looks like an entire Crayola box threw up on it (again, it would be really helpful if a few of these turned out to be terrible at the first meeting). There's a chance that two English classes, an English tutorial, an Italian literature class, and a GenEd course absolutely will might be quite a lot of reading, but I've been doing my best to convince myself that reading is my thing. I read like a champ. Books actually quiver in my wake because they know that I will read the crap out of them.

Okay, so I probably won't do the 5 class thing again, but that leaves me in the awkward position of having to cast something aside, which threatens to rend my saddened heart into two despondent pieces.

If anyone is shopping any of the classes shown above, let me know, because I love having a seat buddy (read: not having to sit alone like that girl with no friends). Oddly enough, approximately 99% (totally arbitrary statistic) of my amigos are in the maths and sciences, so I haven't received a ton of suggestions from them. Boo. In the meantime, I'll continue to ask "which seat can I take?"** until I show up to lecture and find that all of the seats are, in fact, already occupied. Hate that.

**Don't judge me. I'll never pass up a lame pun if I can help it.

3 comments:

  1. If you keep reading, you'll do all right!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The post reminded me of one my favourite poet's lines.

    I shall be telling this with a sigh
    Somewhere ages and ages hence.
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and I
    I took the one less traveled by.
    And that has made all the difference.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh I know how you feel about wanting to take everything! It's good to know I'm not the only nerd that finds every single class I read about totally exciting. I'm sure you'll figure it out. Most of them will probably suck. At least, that's the way it generally goes in my experience.

    ReplyDelete