Wednesday, December 1, 2010

The end is near...

Of the semester, that is. And every once in a while, I have to remind myself that there’s a light at the end of this tunnel of finals period. J term is coming. The holidays are coming. Thanksgiving break was a teaser, but it gave me just enough energy to keep going until the end (as of now that is). It’s hard to keep one’s mind on papers and finals and projects when the best time of the year is rapidly approaching.
I always wanted to be a Rockette. I gave up the dream when I learned that they have a minimum height requirement though. Damn.

I love winter. I love piles of sparkling snow and how they offset the earthy green of the pine trees and the red of the cardinals at the bird feeder. I love walking outside and finding animal tracks in the snow. Cats, rabbits, deer, and squirrels leave their footprints in the yard and make it seem more homey and woodsy. I can’t wait to see my dog bound through the drifts and root her nose in the snow, snorting and sneezing when she inhales the powder. I’ll even shovel the driveway; what better way is there to stay warm while drinking in the deliciously chilly air?

Yes please


I love it when it when the sharp of the cold steals your breath – when I can snuggle into boots, sweaters and parkas. When I walk into my house, it will smell like coffee and sugar cookies – homemade with red and green sugar and twisted into S shapes (for “Santa,” of course). The double boiler will be full of melted chocolate and the rolling pin will be at the ready to pulverize candy canes to make homemade peppermint bark.  The living room will smell like the pitch of our real Christmas tree; an artificial tree will never be acceptable, in my opinion.  Colored lights and shiny bulbs will adorn its branches. Ornaments of every size and color will grace its boughs – I understand the appeal of a “classy” tree, adorned with only white lights and silver bulbs, but I prefer the colorfully loud creation that graces my living room every year; my family’s tree may not have sophisticated elegance, but it’s full of memories, jokes, and meanings. And I would rather feel warm and fuzzy than cold and elegant during the holidays.

candycanescandycaneshappinesscandycanescandycanes


This is only a taste of my love for winter and the holiday season. There’s more to come. As I get lost in schoolwork, I’ll need to take breaks to think about everything that I love about this time of year.

“The best way to spread Christmas cheer is singing loud, for all to hear.”

No comments:

Post a Comment